Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Day I Decided to Test My Pain Tolerance

Test Number One: Waxing
I hate hair. I hate hair anywhere on my body except my head. The easy solution to this problem would be to shave, but I also hate shaving. Since laser hair removal was out of the question (there’s no way a normal college student could afford that!) I turned to the only other option….WAXING.
One of my best friends is attending the skin institute here in St George, and said she’d wax me. “Perfect!” I thought to myself. As I laid on a table with nothing but a towel-dress wrapped around my body, watching Katie apply the hot wax to my poor little arm pits I realized, “This is going to hurt.” Long story short, I was right. The first rip of the wax definitely hurt… A LOT.

To the left is a picture after the first arm pit was done. (Notice the redness on the left) OUCH! And yes, I did have to let my hair grow so it could be waxed. That would be why the right armpit resembles a man's. :) YUCK! As my older sisters told me while doing my hair as a child, "Beauty is pain."

Considering the fact that I didn’t scream in agony, I would say I passed my first pain tolerance test, and my smootherthanababy’sbottomarmpits couldn’t agree more.

Test Number Two: Donating Plasma
“Everyone is doing it,” they tell me. “It doesn’t hurt,” they tell me. “You can get up to fifty dollars a week for doing almost nothing!” they tell me. I guess I am a sucker for peer pressure. Here's how it works:

Ok Ok, just kidding. If you have any questions about plasma, just visit http://www.biolifeplasma.com/index.html
Despite the horror stories I’ve heard, (I won’t even get into those) my plasma donation experience was definitely a positive one. I think my first phlebotomist was a little nuts. After poking my veins for about ten minutes and speaking to herself about how she was really nervous to stick me, I told her she was making me nervous, and I didn’t want to make her do anything she wasn’t sure of. That was my nice way of saying, “You better get someone who really knows what they’re doing to stick me with that needle or I’m gunna freak out!” She then proceeded to get someone else, and everything went perfectly! I even took a picture of my arm.

Pretty huh? I’d say I definitely passed test number two.
Between waxing, plasma donations, and powder puff football practice, (which I can't talk about because I don't want to give away how wickedly AWESOME we are) I’d say I have a pretty high pain tolerance. SUCCESS!!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I cannot believe you put your hairy pit on your blog! Ahhhh! Scary!

LOVE the plasma donation. Now you are a TRUE college student. Todd used to do that ALL the time.

Amanda P. said...

Do you know what/?? That is just disgusting. I can't get over the pit picture....

Coopercomics said...

Ali, I love you...I get excited to see that you have written a new post...um, but I have a SERIOUS needle phobia, and now I have to scroll reaaaaaaly fast past that blood donation picture. I got all dizzy and stuff. Booo...but good for you for doing your part to help save a life. ;)

Anonymous said...

That's really, really gross.

Nicole said...

Oh Ali - you have Alexis TOTALLY fooled! I know you are just doing the plasma thing for the MONEY! (BUT at least it DOES help someone in the process...)

tee-hee!

Phyllis said...

I bow down to you queen of pain! I let my girlfriend wax my lip the other night & I think I peed a little in my pants!!! Oh, then we had to do the other side. As for the plasma, passed out looking at your pic! Hugs